Thursday, December 11, 2008

Oh, I'm Just a Girl...Lucky Me

I've been pretty absent lately friends. I apologise.

In summary of this week (and a bit): I was busy but not overly productive. I had extreme ups & downs....not enough in betweens. On the days I felt like crap I didn't want to write anything because I didn't need physical evidence of my mental state. On the days where I felt good I tried to make an effort to get out & experience my contentment; a feeling that I had almost forgot existed. Overall: Yay :)

I really don't have a segue lined up for the little rant I wanted to go on, so here goes. Gather close friends, I'm about to share some knowledge with you...a theory of mine to which I have given a great deal of thought. I apologise if some people take offense, it's not intentional. Here, my friends, is my theory on women:

There are basically two types of women in this world: Chicks & Broads.

Broads are the prissy girls, the girly girls....they enjoy being femine and can sometimes be a little bit high maintainance. That annoying drunk girl at the club screaming "oh my god!" in a very loud and high pitched voice? She's definitely one. Everyone knows at least one Broad, and I bet you are thinking about her right now.

On the other end of the scale we have Chicks. The girls whose friends are mostly made up of guys, who can come off as being pretty tough and can offend most perverts with their off-colour humour. Think Donna, from That 70's Show. These girls just know how to kick it with the boys.

I'm not trying to say that any girl can fit into one of these two categories, but you can definitely place them on a scale where "Chick-ism" and "Broad-ism" are the extremes. Personally, I think of myself as more of a Chick than a Broad. Sure, I have some "Broad-ish" tendencies: I like to have my nails and my hair done, I like wearing pretty dresses, I have a severe addicition to purses and stiletto heels...and I have (regrettably) been that annoying drunk girl at the bar. But for the most part, I'm just one of the guys. I love relaxing and having a few beers, I prefer pubs & bars to clubs, I can hold my own in a discussion about a broad spectrum of music, videogames, car stereos, television & movies as well as some pretty nerdy random pop cultural trivia. Not to mention that my mind is never too far from the gutter.

Reader, you must be thinking to yourself: "Self: This is starting to make sense, but what's the point?"

Relax. I'm geting there.

My point is this: For the most part I love being a chick. I love my guy friends...I love that they lack the drama of girls. And the girls that I hang out with are very much like me, so this also helps to eliminate drama. I get all the benefits of having a girls body (because clearly, there are), but with the laid-back personality of a guy. Seems like a sweet deal, right? Pretty much the perfect girl. For a long time I thought so too. I'm starting to wonder if I might be wrong.

Maybe there's a downside to being "just one of the guys"....mostly because when you're "just one of the guys", the guys tend to forget that you're still a girl. (Unless they are trying to convince you it would be a good idea to sleep together, "cuz hey, we're friends, right?"...guys, I love you, but if one more of you offers yourself as a solution to my problematic sex life I swear, I'll ro-sham-bo every last one of you!)

It's true, I am in fact a girl. I like being told when I look nice. I like being taken out. I like being "woo-ed" (although I'm pretty sure I haven't been woo-ed, unless it was a very long time ago). I like flowers. And *gasp* I acctually like pink....with black.

So guys, give a little thought to some of the Chicks in your life. Let them know that you appreciate that they are so fun to hang out with, and tell them you're glad they aren't Broads. And as much as you love them BECAUSE they can kick it like the boys, remeber that they still appreciate the same things Broads just expect. Chances are we'll aprecciate it more....and who knows? Maybe you will realize that we're not just "one of the boys" afterall, because I think we're pretty damn special.

4 comments:

TS said...

You're the prettiest boyfriend I've ever had.

But for serious, you know that I get this entire post. I feel you.

blepharisma said...

I think you have the 'broad' thing backwards.

A 'broad' is usually someone who's more masculine than feminine, and is kind of hard both in appearance and personality.

Not even remotely girly.

I dunno what I am. Girly, but shouts random things in public.

ghetto.punk.chic said...

You're probably right Steph. I didn't do any research into the term, I just used it because it was a term that I associated with these particular types of women.

Anonymous said...

I hear ya!
And agree with ya, i get what you are sayin!~